With the outbreak of war in August of 1914, the Germans implemented their battle plans and quickly invaded France. The Battle of Longwy took place on August 22-23, 1914 and the fort of Longwy was captured by the Germans. Longwy was the first French fort to be taken by the Germans in the Weltkrieg. Much of the town was destroyed. Including the Asile Margaine run by the Daughters of Charity pictured in the contemporary postcard above. The postcard was recently acquired by the Vincentiana collections in Archives and Special Collections at DePaul University. The postcard bears a military postmark dated May 24, 1915. It was sent home by a German soldier.