MK Zubes- Allison Murphy

The company I work for is MK Zubes. It is an online women’s clothing company that specializes in modest clothing for Muslim women. The company wants to provide these women with fashionable choices for dressing modestly. Though mainly targeted to Muslim women, the clothing is on trend and fashionable and can therefore be worn and appreciated by any woman. The store operates mainly online, but throughout the year puts up booths at fairs and events to
increase sales and grow its customer base.

16I am a digital marketing intern. This means that I help with the company’s social media and online presence. I work with the analytics of the social media accounts and website (checking how many page visitors an Instagram post brings in, and if a promotion posted on social media brings in sales). I also help photograph products for social media posts and create graphic images to announce sales and convey the company’s message. Lastly, I help organize the company’s website, and also work to make banner images for the homepage and product images and details.

Most of my work is done remotely. I am given product to photograph by my boss and must send them to her to be approved. She also sends me messages asking to make graphic images to post on social media or resize and edit images to make them into banners. I have access to the back end of the site, allowing me to see what Instagram posts work to bring in customers to the site. I meet with my boss once a week to plan out the weeks marketing plan and to make sure we are on the same page and are on track. My boss often uses this time to tell me what work of mine she likes and doesn’t like, allowing me to make changes and improve.

15The company is small, only including 15 employees in total. Though many employees live in the Chicago area, some live in other parts of the country and therefore most communication is done online. Once a week, the marketing team holds a Google hangout so that we can all talk about the projects we are working on and what needs to be done. Communication with other teams is typically done through Slack. The small size of the company makes communicating much easier than if this were a company with many employees.

This internship has been a great experience for me overall. I have come to find that I want to peruse a more creative aspect of marketing. This internship allows me to do just that. I have the opportunity to work with both analytics and design, which is an experience I do not think I would get at another company. Furthermore, I am interested in fashion and style so I enjoy working for a clothing company.

14Another main reason why I like working for this company and why I have had such a positive experience is because I work for and with wonderful people. I work with powerful, hardworking women who are consistently inspiring me and empowering me to work harder every day.