Reopening of the Esports Center!

By: Jeremy Blye

From the last blog, we obviously know that the next year is right around the corner (2 WEEKS WOOO!). I luckily have been given the opportunity to start working within the Esports Center and get a feel of what the community is when it is in person. Walking into the center made me excited. Even though there has not been a huge flow of traffic within the center, it has made me happy to see the community that is coming together before the school year has even started. There is a level of respect I have not seen between people in awhile. It was nice to see the community function in person when I have only been able to participate virtually.

Seeing this within the first few shifts at the Gaming Center gives me hope with this upcoming year. As things slowly start returning to normal, it puts a smile to my face to see everyone just having a good time. It’s awesome that DePaul has the space to facilitate such an environment for our students. At points, I understand gaming can become extremely toxic, and it is great that no one I have seen cares for the drama that stems from such actions.

Overall, this blog is more on the short and sweet side. I felt the reopening of the Gaming Center deserved some more recognition. It deserves this type of recognition especially for those who are new to DePaul and are trying to find their way around as they move on to the next chapter of their lives. Not only this, I feel those who have been a part of the Esports community deserve the same amount of recognition. They have helped keep the community running throughout such a crazy year and a half. Like I said in the beginning, I look forward to what this year has in store for us, and I am ready for the ride that comes.

Updates for Esports:

• Tonight at 6pm, there will be an Esports event (SMASH BROS!!!!!!!!!!) in the Lincoln Park Student Center. Be sure to check it out, I am trying to make time for it.
  • Tomorrow 8/28, the Rocket League and Smash team will be competing against NIU in a LAN over in Hoffman Estates starting at 4PM. Wish them all luck!
  • We have a VALORANT and R6 collab coming soon, be on the lookout!