Tryout Nation!

By Jeremy Blye:

I just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck if they are trying out for any of our teams this week. I understand that for many the start of the school year is an extremely chaotic point in the year, and I hope a community such as Esports can help facilitate a calm environment for those to feel just at home. I am so grateful that DePaul has such resources to allow such a community to exist especially in a day and age where Esports is still becoming popularized and accepted nationally and globally. So let’s take a look at the titles we will be providing opportunities for all students:

Rainbow Six Siege – in R6, players will compete in 5v5 situations which involve intense teamwork and strategical routes. Personally, I do not enjoy this game that much, but I understand the appeal for those who are active within the community.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive – in CSGO, players will compete over a variety of maps in a 5v5 manner in which teams must compete to either plant or defuse an explosive. One of my personal favorites from throughout the years, yet I am not too good at it.

Rocket League – car soccer. Nothing more, nothing less. Just kidding, it’s a game that takes teams of 3 against each other to see who has the superior mechanical and mental skill.

Super Smash Bros. – these are 1v1 situations in which the characters fight one another to try and take the crown for the game. I’m awful at this game, but one of our players Matt Beach is pretty good with both MegaMan and Kazuya.

VALORANT – As a newer shooter, VALORANT has been taking the public over with its new twist on the formula CSGO established throughout the years. Basically a 5v5 game where the characters have special abilities.

League of Legends – I have never understood this game. There is way too much going on in MOBA’s for me to figure out what to do. Our League players are quite phenomenal with the game and it is mind boggling watching them do their thing.

COD – one of the most classic shooters that has ever existed. It has been around for close to 20 years now. It is amazing to see that a formula so simple in gaming is still so prevalent within Esports.

Overwatch – one of the most unique shooters that takes a 6v6 approach and tries to twist it by allowing characters to have never before seen abilities.

Over this weekend (today and tomorrow), I hope every single person gets the chance to find their place within our community. Whether it is through a competitive form or a casual one, I hope those who are interested in being a part can have a piece. So I do not hold you all too much longer, I wish everyone the best of luck. Unfortunately I am unable to show up for any of the tryouts due to other commitments, but I am excited to see everyone throughout the year!