Pray for Peace

DePaul pray peace poster

We all have those moments when words come tumbling out of our mouths and we immediately realize that we just said the dumbest thing ever. One of those moments has haunted me for years.

I had listened to the heart-wrenching woes of a young adult. I was so shocked and astounded by what I had heard that I sat tongue tied for long, long moments. And then I said it: “I’ll pray for you. It’s the least I can do.”

Now, that actually sounds appropriate and really rather nice, doesn’t it? But in my heart I was immediately screaming to myself, “What was that – how shallow can you be?!?!”

In that instant I felt I had completely bumbled a moment to offer true comfort by saying prayer was the “least” I could offer. From my understanding as a person of faith, prayer is not the least important or helpful thing we can offer, but it is the MOST significant gift we can give another. In that moment I was reminded—this time not to be forgotten—that prayer is the MOST important and powerful gift I—we — can offer, especially when lives are torn apart and hearts are aching.

Last weekend we had hate-inspired shootings in Kansas City, 36 people shot in 36 hours in Chicago, continued violence in Syria, unrest in Ukraine. Our world is moaning under the weight of violence and millions of our sisters and brothers throughout the world are crying out in pain because they have come face to face with horrors…their lives are torn apart and their hearts are aching. We do not know them personally but we are connected to them through a great cosmic Spirit that is screaming at all of us to take notice and to offer our very best on behalf of the broken.

And so, on this day when one horror after another is spewed out over news feeds across the world, I’d like to suggest that we pause and think about the PEOPLE who are suffering because of violence…and I’d like to suggest that we offer our very best in a prayer for peace.

Let there be peace on earth—in the hearts of those suffering—and let it begin with me!

Rev. Diane Dardon is a Chaplain with DePaul Christian Ministries. Feel free to leave a comment about her post at the bottom of this page.

2 thoughts on “Pray for Peace

1. Thanks, Rev. Diane! I know I tend to do the same – to minimize in my mind the value of praying for others – so I can identify. I do this even though there is little doubt in my mind that prayer is “efficacious” in many ways. Most certainly it is or can be for oneself – perhaps by changing us internally and generating a deeper compassion for others, perhaps by helping us find the creativity and courage to act in ways that also change us “externally,” that is in our behavior, and the quality of our presence with others. And, I know it is deeply meaningful and moving to know and experience others’ prayers for me.

2. “And so, on this day when one horror after another is spewed out over news feeds across the world, I’d like to suggest that we pause and think about the PEOPLE who are suffering because of violence…and I’d like to suggest that we offer our very best in a prayer for peace.” Very well put. Remember the PEOPLE. And make our prayers the best.