DePaul Students Selected as 2023 Mary T. Washington Wylie Scholars in Competitive Ill. CPA Society Program

Jonathan Silva, Aisha Bawany (center) and Kelly Benton were three of the four DePaul students who were selected as 2023 Mary T. Washington Wylie Scholars.

Four DePaul University students were selected to participate in the Mary T. Washington Wylie Internship Preparation Program in January 2023. Managed by the Illinois CPA Society, the award-winning program provides racial and ethnic minority college students access to training, mentoring, networking and job opportunities in the accounting profession, in addition to scholarship awards.

This year, the program selected 38 students from 20 colleges and universities across the state of Illinois, with DePaul representing the second highest number of students selected. Aisha Bawany, Kelly Benton and Jonathan Silva were three of the four DePaul students who accepted the invitation and attended the program, which took place Jan. 4-6 on Zoom. The fourth student who had already secured an internship in the accounting profession did not participate.

“Words can’t describe how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to take part in this program,” shares Jonathan Silva, a junior and transfer student who recently declared accounting as his major. “I was introduced to the program by one of my DePaul professors in the fall and it came at a great time in my academic career, as it’s really helping me better plan out my future. All the knowledge and confidence I’ve gained from this experience has made such a positive impact in my pursuit of a career.”

“I will never forget this experience,” adds Kelly Benton, who expects to graduate in June and plans to take the CPA exam after graduation. “The guest speakers were phenomenal. They enlightened us on how to interview for internships, gave resume advice, shared what their firms have to offer, and gave lots of information about the CPA exam. I also had the honor of networking with many wonderful people.”

“The program was a great experience that helped me grow professionally. I recommend it to all accounting majors,” says Aisha Bawany, a sophomore who also plans to take the CPA exam.

DePaul students have been selected consistently to take part in this program every year, supported by the university’s School of Accountancy & MIS that encourages and helps students to apply.

“I am thankful for the long-standing partnership between the School of Accountancy & MIS and the Illinois CPA society in preparing our students for their academic and professional success,” says Hui Lin, director of the school. “Our students’ career readiness is of utmost importance to us and this program does an excellent job of supporting that.”

The program is named for Mary T. Washington Wylie, who became the first African American woman CPA in the U.S. in 1943. Learn more here.

By Nadia Alfadel Coloma

Skip to toolbar