DePaul Accountancy Professors Honored by Illinois CPA Society

Earlier this year the Illinois CPA Society announced the winners of their 2020 honorary awards. Among the recipients: DePaul’s Emerita Professor Elizabeth Murphy, who taught at the School of Accountancy & MIS for almost 40 years before retiring in December 2018, and KPMG Distinguished Professor of Accountancy and Diversity Ambassador Sandra Shelton.

Emerita Professor Elizabeth Murphy

Murphy won the Society’s 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award, the highest honor the Society bestows on members who have demonstrated distinguished service to the society and the CPA profession.

Throughout her career at DePaul, Murphy taught a variety of accountancy courses as well as CPA exam workshops, served in many faculty advisor roles, coached many national award-winning DePaul MAHA case competition teams and received numerous awards for teaching and service to the DePaul community, including the Via Sapientiae Award, DePaul’s highest award given to university employees.

“The opportunities I’ve had within DePaul, the Illinois CPA Society and the AICPA gave me stimulation for continuing to refine my practice as an accountant and professor,” says Murphy. “As I reflect on my accounting career and the important place that the Illinois CPA Society played in it, I am most fortunate in my choice of profession, the positions I’ve held, and the wonderful people I’ve met along the way. I’m deeply grateful to be the recipient of this great honor.”

Professor Sandra Shelton

Shelton, meanwhile, won the 2020 Lester H. McKeever Jr. Advancing Diversity Award, an honor that recognizes outstanding leaders who are committed to advancing diversity in the accounting profession.

A professor at the School of Accountancy & MIS for more than 20 years, Shelton is the current chair of the Driehaus College of Business diversity and inclusion committee that works to address diversity and inclusion opportunities at the college. She’s also director of the Internal Auditing Program, where she teaches graduate auditing courses. She was recognized as Educator of the Year by the Chicago Chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors in 2008 and 2014, and was inducted into the PhD Project Hall of Fame in 2014 as one of a select few who have inspired many.

“I am honored to be selected as the recipient of this diversity award,” says Shelton. “This recognition is special to me because of my commitment to advancing diversity in the accounting profession during my more than 25 years in academia. I have worked diligently to provide students with the knowledge base for success and to make students aware of career opportunities in the accounting profession, while mentoring, supporting and providing networking opportunities.  I am grateful for the opportunity to make a difference in the lives students.”

Skip to toolbar