Notable Alumnus: Jon Assell (BUS ’06)

Jon Assell (BUS ’06)

Residence: Forest Park, Illinois

Occupation: Controller at the Museum of Science and Industry. I lead a dynamic team of professionals responsible for audit, tax, accounting, treasury and grants management.

Education: I decided to attend DePaul because I wanted an urban campus experience at a Catholic university with a top-tier business school. DePaul met these criteria and ultimately exceeded my expectations, namely in the accounting program’s academic rigor and mentoring support from alumni. A majority of my career opportunities were made possible through alumni mentoring and networking.

Giving Back: Each year I have the honor of presenting a Top 10 list of alumni advice to DePaul’s incoming Strobel (honors program) class, and I am a regular panelist in the Career Management for Accountants course. I’ve also hosted DePaul class visits at the museum. Outside of DePaul, I serve on the Finance Committee of the Western Province of the Vincentians.

What I Like Best About My Job: The variety in my work is the most exciting part of being at the Museum of Science and Industry. From an accounting perspective, the museum operates multiple lines of business and has enough complexity to keep me on my toes. More broadly, the opportunity to participate in the creative process of designing new exhibitions and interacting with Chicago’s premier business leaders are two energizing and
rewarding parts of my job.

Because of DePaul: I met my wife! Katie is the love of my life and a Double Demon. We have a toddler named Charlie and are expecting a baby girl in March.

In My Free Time: We love traveling to national parks. A perfect vacation involves taking in breathtaking vistas and enjoying the serenity of extended time outdoors. Hiking The Narrows and Angel’s Landing in Utah is a particular highlight. I also come from a family of golfers and try to hit the links as often as possible. This summer, I made my first eagle (two under par on one hole) on a par five.

Words of Advice: Commit to a lifetime of learning. It’s never been easier to access mentors and digital resources that broaden your capacity as a professional. Keep investing in yourself and you’ll never stop growing.

Skip to toolbar