DePaul CEO: Creating a Supportive Community for Aspiring Entrepreneurs

This past October, I had the amazing opportunity of attending the Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization (CEO) 39th Annual Global Conference, representing DePaul as our chapter’s co-president. It was a three-day event with 600+ attendees and more than 35 speakers. I heard from incredible keynote speakers, networked with other CEO chapters and learned about how we can expand DePaul’s chapter to achieve greatness.

I joined DePaul CEO in the spring of 2022 as a freshman studying business. Eager to get involved, I accepted an executive board position heading into the 2022-2023 school year. To my surprise, I was joining an organization with only one other current member.

Pre-COVID, DePaul CEO was a thriving organization with more 200 student members. Post-COVID, DePaul CEO died down to just a few remaining members. Knowing the growth and potential, I was motivated to take the lead and build CEO back up.

That was one of the things that drew me to the conference in October. I was excited to attend the many sessions on chapter development so that I could learn how to successfully re-build DePaul CEO. Chapters from across the nation shared their similar post-COVID struggles and how they successfully rebuilt their organization. I attended sessions on how to grow and expand your chapter, how to recruit and retain members and how to market events and programs. With these resources and strategies, I felt inspired and empowered to bring DePaul CEO back to its fullest potential.

But then I wondered: what exactly am I trying to build at DePaul?

During the conference, I had the pleasure of hearing from keynote speaker Cary Singleton, the founder of the Singleton Foundation for Financial Literacy and Entrepreneurship. During her speech, Singleton emphasized how important a supportive environment is for an aspiring entrepreneur. “Everyone has an entrepreneurship gift, but it comes down to your environment,” she said, explaining that it was similar to nature vs. nurture. Your environment is essential for allowing your entrepreneurial spirit to thrive.

Singleton was lucky because she grew up with two parents who supported her pursuit of entrepreneurship. Many other entrepreneurs I spoke with at the conference had similar stories; they had mentors who supported them in their careers. Whether their parents were entrepreneurs or they grew up in an environment of enterprise creation, they were all “nurtured” to develop an entrepreneurial mindset that promotes creative thinking and capitalizing on opportunity. It became clear to me that an environment that provides support and inspiration is essential for an aspiring entrepreneur.

Throughout the conference, I experienced this entrepreneurial environment firsthand. By talking to and hearing from many likeminded individuals, I built a large network of people who support and inspire one another to achieve their entrepreneurial aspirations.

One student from Morningside University shared his thoughts on meeting other members of CEO: “The best part about the conference wasn’t the big-time entrepreneurs. It was the people who were just like me. Young and inspired to change the world.” As a group of young and inspired individuals, we created a supportive community that allows the entrepreneurial spirit to thrive.

Leaving the conference, it became clear to me what I aspired to build at DePaul through DePaul CEO: I wanted to create an entrepreneurial environment that provides support, opportunity and resources to empower dreamers to become doers.

Hearing the amazing successes of CEO chapters, the compelling journeys of entrepreneurs and the burning ambition of students across the nation was a truly incredible experience. I am very grateful I got to attend this conference and had the opportunity to join such a supportive community. I want to create this same environment and community at DePaul that encourages students to unlock their authentic entrepreneurship gift.

Join DePaul CEO here.

Follow CEO on Instagram @depaul_ceo and on LinkedIn to get updates on events and announcements!

Contributor Bio:

Kealey Kostos is a sophomore at DePaul who is studying entrepreneurship. She is passionate about business and individual development and is currently the co-president of DePaul CEO and treasurer of Net Impact. Her plan is to pursue a career in consulting and life coaching with hopes to start her own business.

, , ,