Q&A with Chicago-based, French Entrepreneur Alexandra Gantier-Hochart

Alexandra Gantier-Hochart is founder of AGH Communications LLC, a boutique agency specializing in public relations and digital marketing known as AGH DIGITAL PR. She credits DePaul and the Coleman Entrepreneurship Center (CEC) as her first client, for helping to jumpstart her business, which she launched in 2019.

Gantier-Hochart’s story is unique because of her multicultural background. She opened her business in Chicago as French citizen and leveraged her trilingual skills and experiences abroad to boost the success of her business.

AGH Digital PR serves individuals, not-for-profits, and small and large companies locally, regionally and internationally to deliver high-quality services such as media outreach, press releases, event planning, social media management, crisis communication and event planning. What makes AGH Digital PR unique is that it offers services and delivers content in English, Spanish and French without intermediaries.

Learn more about Alexandra’s journey as an entrepreneur in this Q&A:

What made you want to become an entrepreneur?

I never thought I’d become an entrepreneur, even though I was exposed to entrepreneurship from an early age. In my youth, my parents had started several businesses– a restaurant, a clothing store and a travel agency– that all ultimately ended. They were very young with no support, no mentors, no resources that could help them with their entrepreneurial initiatives. So, I grew up with the idea that finding a secure job was the best and safest way to go.

I got my master’s degree in public affairs, philosophy, and I got my law degree. Then I did my master’s in international management at HEC Paris. In the meantime, I had worked in law firms, public relations and public affairs agencies.

In 2017, I wanted something new in my life, so I decided to move to the United States with my husband. My son was born here, in Chicago. After a short experience in investment banking, I decided I wanted to create an opportunity that would give me enough flexibility to do everything I like: public relations and integrated communications (digital, crisis, reputation, social media, etc.), and so my business was born. My ultimate goal is to help states and governments in their public policy issues. I have never seen my career as a personal thing. My goal has always been oriented towards people and how I can create a better world.

Was it an easy process to start your own business in Chicago being a French citizen?

I currently have a legal status that allows me to create and work for my company. There are different ways for entrepreneurs to open a business in the United States. So far, I have had all that I need to make it happen. Initially, my company was more focused on small businesses linked to France, but during the pandemic, my business core was 100% American. It was only four months ago that I could re-open again to Paris.

Tell us about your multicultural background and how it has influenced you and your business.

I grew up in two different countries on two different continents. I was born in Paris and lived there my six first years. Then, we moved to Ecuador in South America, where I lived from 1992 to 2000. I was in French middle school along with other international kids. We were all at that time bilingual. We started learning English very young. Others already spoke Dutch, Italian and German. My life has always been plurilingual and nourished by other cultures. My childhood friends are now everywhere in the world. That had a huge impact later on in my life. Since day one, my company has had people speaking Hindi and Spanish. For me, it’s crucial today to be open to the world to answer tomorrow’s global issues better.

What’s the biggest challenge you faced when you started your business?

The number one difficulty I faced was the pandemic. Legally, my company was created at the end of December 2019 and officially opened to clients in January 2020, just three months before the lockdown. My company was developing, and therefore I couldn’t apply for small business aids that required at least two years of business. I do believe entrepreneurship is a combat sport. You have to think about everything, stay alert and stay focused. I believe this is not for everyone. Especially during economic clashes, you have to stay strong and resilient and surround yourself with other entrepreneurs who can advise and mentor you.

How important is networking for your startup?

I am in public relations, where building bridges between people, stakeholders, organizations and cultures is key to my business. Networking is not an option; it is the very essence of what I am doing. I have to meet people, get to know them and connect them with others. I cannot see my occupation without meeting new people. “Networking” is not about getting a business card only; it is about listening to people, understanding how they think, what they aspire to, what motivates them, what moves them… It requires a lot of empathic skills.

Is there anything you wish you would have done differently?

Entrepreneurship is a learning process. When the pandemic started, I had already taken the plunge. There was no turning back. I had to swim. I’m glad it was three months before the pandemic. It’s a hard way to go, but I have a lot of plans for the coming year that excite me. I remain confident for the future.

Contributor Bio

Alexandra Gantier-Hochart is the founder of AGH Digital PR, founded in 2019. Alexandra loves connecting people with decision-makers and helping organizations with meaningful partnerships and networks.

As of January 2022, she is the new Executive Director of the French American Chamber of Commerce of Chicago. The FACC-Chicago is an independent, non-profit, member-driven organization whose mission is to foster a thriving economic relationship between the United States and France and to welcome and support French businesses and entrepreneurs in the Chicago region.

Alexandra began her career in Public Relations in 2007 at the Delegation for Information and Communication of the Department of the Interior in France in charge of the Ministry’s communication. She then did her first steps in crisis communication and media training in a Parisian public affairs agency. She continued working in national and international organizations such as UNESCO headquarters in Paris.

As an international in-house lawyer, Alexandra worked in Parisian law firms such as Fidal International (KPMG), Landwell & Associés (PwC Paris).

Alexandra has a passion for legislative and regulatory changes on topics that are close to her heart. From 2007 to 2014, Alexandra organized many high-profile events in the political arena. She now brings her expertise to the Chicago communities.

Alexandra is trilingual in Spanish, English, and French. Since 2020, she has also been teaching Philosophy (Ethics) to junior and third-year students at National Louis University.

She lived in Quito, London, and Paris. Since 2017, she has lived in Chicago with her husband and son.

One comment on “Q&A with Chicago-based, French Entrepreneur Alexandra Gantier-Hochart