Andrew Hallissey (MBA ’04) Seeks Real Estate Solutions Worldwide

Andrew Hallissey in Hong Kong.

Andrew Hallissey in Hong Kong.

Andrew Hallissey (MBA ’04)

Residence: Hong Kong

Occupation: Executive director in the Global Corporate Services group of CBRE, the world’s largest commercial real estate services and investment firm. As head of client solutions for the Asia Pacific region in CBRE’s Hong Kong office, I have responsibility for the design, implementation and management of real estate solutions for CBRE’s largest corporate clients. I also provide global oversight for a range of CBRE’s U.S.- and European-based corporate clients.

Education: After attending high school at De La Salle College in Waterford, Ireland, I earned a Bachelor of Business Studies at the Waterford Institute of Technology. My first master’s degree was an MSc in Marketing Practice at the Smurfit School in University College Dublin. I was very fortunate to be the fifth recipient of the DePaul Ireland Scholarship, founded by Fergal Mulchrone, a member of the Driehaus College of Business Advisory Board, to promote educational and business links between DePaul and the Republic of Ireland.

Vital stats: After I graduated from DePaul in 2004, I joined Trammell Crow Co. and received a very diversified exposure to the real estate industry. Trammell Crow was acquired by CBRE in 2006, and shortly after that, I moved from Chicago to London to lead the client solutions function for CBRE across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. After six years in London, I was ready for another challenge, and our business in Asia Pacific was poised for dramatic growth. I have been based in Hong Kong for the last 2 1/2 years. My wonderful wife, Kirsty, and I were blessed with the arrival of our son, Max, a little over a year ago. He has definitely been a game changer!

What I like best about my job: I love the culture of our company, which is focused on values-based leadership and delivering the best possible outcomes for our clients. Our values statement is RISE, which stands for Respect, Integrity, Service and Excellence. It’s a very powerful mantra when you inspire 52,000 people within the firm to use it as their day-to-day operating philosophy.

How my DePaul experience helped me: I have DePaul to thank for getting my start in the real estate industry. I was a graduate assistant for Susanne Cannon, the founder and chair of the Real Estate Department, who recently retired. Dr. Cannon introduced me to my first job at Trammell Crow Co. DePaul does an amazing job at opening the doors of industry to aspiring young people.

Advice for New Graduates

“My favorite quote from Mr. Trammell Crow was ‘We should hire people other people would like to see be successful.’ Take a couple of minutes to consider the personal attributes of the kind of people that others would like to see be successful. If you do your best to emulate those attributes, the chances are you will do well.”

“Continue to build great relationships with your colleagues, clients and stakeholders throughout your career. People like doing business with people they like, and you need all the help you can get in an increasingly competitive workplace.”

“Consider how fortunate we are to have had the opportunity to study at DePaul. As we progress through our careers and through life, it is important we do everything we can to help and support those who really need it.”