DePaul Activities Board Intern by Connor Mudd

My role as the VP of Marketing for the DAB has expanded considerably in the wake of this global pandemic. In a non-digital quarter, the DePaul Activities Board will host between 20 and 30 events on campus. My role required me to promote these events through social media, email blasts, and direct marketing. I managed a discretionary budget for printed and promotional items, and I managed a team of designers to create them. Our organization is present at involvement fairs and orientations and is known for our large-scale events and concerts. We have around 25 members, but we serve the entire DePaul community. When the university went completely digital DAB’s plans changed, and so did my job. Our team of graphic artists was reduced, several members of leadership left, our calendar became limited, and everything had to go digital. I began to fill holes where I could. I became the host and sole planner of a weekly trivia series; I instigated multiple social media campaigns and contests; I completed a portion of our graphic design needs.

In this internship, I have learned how to adapt. Every week provides a new challenge that we are looking to overcome. Right now, we are beginning the organizational planning process for the coming school year. All signs are indicating that any programming we do in the future will have to be severely limited. Our challenge is figuring out how the events can adapt to either be conscious of social distancing or take place online. I have also learned that regardless of the virus, the realm of digital marketing is shifting. The consumer audience is changing, and with that the platforms for marketing are changing with them. I have learned that managing a TikTok page and a Spotify account can be as effective as any email list. In the world of marketing, it is important to recognize these shifts and build a toolkit to execute conscious change.

One thought on “DePaul Activities Board Intern by Connor Mudd