TransparentCareer Intern- Hauk Nelson

Hi! My name is Hauk, and I am a marketing associate at TransparentCareer, a career services startup in Chicago. Welcome to “A Day in the Life of a Marketing Intern.” I’m one of seven people working in the office, including two other interns.

Coincidentally, my main job at TransparentCareer revolves around content creation and user engagement, including writing for our blog, so I’m happy to write a post for our marketing class as well!

My job is to keep our users coming back and checking our site often. The more people we have actively using the site, the more chances we have to connect with customers. Our primary audience is MBA students. I’ve been working here since November, and we as a company have gone through a lot of strategic changes in how to best keep engaged with our community, and a few months ago we decided that the best way to keep TransparentCareer in our users’ minds was to send a weekly newsletter, filled with content that we also create.

It’s Tuesday, it’s 9 am, and it’s time to get to work. Our newsletter goes out at 2 pm every Tuesday, so it’s my responsibility to get everything ready. I finished writing our content last week, so the next step is to schedule the newsletter to be sent out through MailChimp. 

I segment the newsletter to be sent out to different demographics, which we’ve decided to change based on the audience’s class year, sending a separate email (same content, different copy) to the Class of 2018, Class of 2019, and MBA graduates. I write a subject line pertinent to the content, design the email to look pretty, and schedule for 2 pm.

You can get a look at the opener above, but to see the rest of the content, you’ll have to sign up for TransparentCareer!

Lunch time! We head out as a team to celebrate our lead developer’s birthday. Happy birthday Neel!

The rest of the day is spent planning the content for the next week, digging for data to use via Chartio, and then, once I finish writing the article, uploading the content to WordPress and making sure it looks good for next week’s newsletter!