Welcome Our New Faculty

Jeff Ng
PhD, University of Chicago
Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

What brought you to DePaul? I chose to return to DePaul, where I earned my Master of Science in Accountancy, because I am drawn to the engaging, yet down-to-earth environment. I also appreciate the diverse backgrounds of the faculty and students, allowing for learning from different perspectives and experiences.

What do you research and teach? I teach financial accounting and tax accounting. My research includes international accounting and disclosure issues, executive compensation, auditing disclosures and tax.

What do you like to do for fun? I have the most fun when I am spending time with family and close friends, whether traveling to interesting places around the world, sampling unique foods or sitting around and chatting. At other times, I enjoy reading and cycling or jogging.

Bright (Yue) Hong, PhD
PhD, Emory University
Hometown: Chizhou, Anhui, China

What brought you to DePaul? I came to the U.S. on my own in 2009. Since then, my life and career in the country would not have been possible without the value of diversity, equity and inclusion. I am drawn to DePaul because it is diverse in all aspects—research, gender, and cultural backgrounds. I feel that I can relate to my colleagues and students at DePaul and that I can have a voice here.

What do you teach and research? I teach financial accounting. I study accountants’ judgement-making and well-being, mainly in the audit setting.

What do you like to do for fun? I play classical violin and started jazz improvisation a few years ago. Jazz taught me how to listen to and communicate with others, and to not be afraid of making mistakes. I also enjoy cooking and spending time with my family and my dog.

Kirsten Fanning, PhD
PhD, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

What brought you to DePaul? I joined DePaul for the opportunity to work with many excellent faculty also engaged in behavioral research in accounting. In addition, I was a first-generation college student in my family and I remember some of the unique challenges I faced. I’m looking forward to connecting, giving back and making a positive impact on first-generation college students.

What do you teach and research? I teach financial and managerial accounting. My research focuses on behavioral judgment and decision making in accounting contexts.

What do you like to do for fun? I’ve been practicing yoga for about 20 years and I enjoy traveling with my family.

Our new faculty members show our commitment to building a diverse faculty of scholars and experienced practitioners who support student success and promote industry engagement.”

Ray Whittington, Director
School of Accountancy & MIS

Skip to toolbar