Teaching Myself to Write Website Copy

May 10, 2022 | Internship Projects

The most interesting assignment I have ever done for my internship was writing website copy. I was tasked with re-writing the company website’s section that was dedicated to Chicago neighborhoods. The person previously responsible for this task had taken material from other websites and used it as their own and this was damaging the website’s Search Engine Optimization. I took it upon myself to do research and start from scratch, writing a completely original description and virtual tour for each neighborhood. 

Firstly, it was a matter of researching, I do not live in Chicago, nor do I know anything about its neighborhoods or anything about writing neighborhood tours. I had to take enormous stock of all the current Chicago neighborhood tours that existed on the internet for two reasons: firstly, to learn everything I didn’t know about these neighborhoods and to learn everything I didn’t know about website writing, and secondly to make sure that nothing from any of these websites was repeated on our company website. In doing this, I was able to learn what website writing looked like; however, to make it unique, I had to do more. I went through various food and location reviewing websites, picking out the best things to do from lists on the internet and taking a format as simple as lists and combining them with tourist website cadence to create a localized tour for each neighborhood that got into specific places, bringing the best of tourism, review and real estate websites together. 

I liked doing the research and coming up with something entirely on my own through hours of dedicated research, drafting, writing and rewriting. I learned how to write website copy from doing this.

I could use this in my portfolio to show that I am a competent writer, that I can write website copy, that I can research to create new and original work and that I can stick all the way through till the end. I can also use it to show that I am capable of producing quality content repeatedly, not letting its quality degrade after a few projects. I was responsible for 10 individual website descriptions and I put the same amount of quality and research into each one of them.

written by

JULIAN PIWOWAR

Julian is a senior pursuing a B.A. in communication and media. Julian is currently a writer/journalist for Hudson Burnham.