An Unignorable Problem

By Megan Avery

My therapist was surprised by my choice of profession.

I have lived with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, or GAD, since childhood. Social situations can cause an undeniable state of dread. I avoid talking to strangers.

Journalism is bookended by those stressful social interactions. The meat of this job is personal connection.

I started this journey knowing my illness could be an issue. My therapist gave me contacts in the city. I prepared for the increased levels of anxiety that college would bring.

Then the first case of COVID-19 was discovered.

The country was in a state of high alarm. Journalists found themselves working from home. Many still braved the outside world in search of the truth. We worked to bring information to every fearful person in America. It took its toll.

The pandemic has caused higher levels of mental health disturbance in journalists. According to studies done by the International Center for Journalists, 82% of people surveyed reported negative emotional reactions caused by the pandemic.

The awareness surrounding mental health has increased in recent years. The intense workload contributes to higher stress levels. When left untreated, this stress can develop into anxiety and depression.

Multiple journalists have spoken out about how journalism affects mental health. A reporter at The Daily Beast, named Olivia Messer, ended up leaving her position due to extreme levels of stress. She said, “I have since interviewed a dozen local and national journalists. Many of them told me they do not feel… that they have the tools they need to handle the trauma they are absorbing.”

Julie K. Brown, a journalist who wrote about Jeffery Epstein’s crimes, met with her therapist many times during her investigations. The stories she heard were devastating. They lingered after the story’s publication. She found herself unable to sleep at night. Instead, she would review her research into the early hours of the morning.

While we are journalists, we are also humans. The emotions we report about don’t dissipate once the story is over. The industry is acknowledging the mental health issue. The next step is fixing it.

Dr. Glenda Gordon, a chief medical officer, wrote an article about mental health within the journalism field. She says, “only a few formal resources exist for aspiring journalists to learn about how to handle trauma and mental health issues.” Gordon continues by asking where mental health lands in the college curriculum.

DePaul does not have dedicated classes for navigating mental health in the field. Some professors touch on this concept. During my own college years, the topic has only been mentioned a handful of times.

The International Center for Journalist’s pandemic impact study collected positive experiences as well. They reported that 61% of journalists surveyed gained a better commitment to journalism during the pandemic. Another 43% of participants said that audience trust levels increased.

Take a deep breath. See where tension rests in the body. Check in with yourself. Mental health is important to all, not just those with diagnosed illnesses. As journalists, we can only keep going if we take care of ourselves.